Thread: Bandsaw restoration finally done

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bandsaw restoration finally done

About a year ago, I acquired an old (built in 1970) Powermatic 81 20" bandsaw. The saw worked fine, but looked pretty rough, had some corrosion here and there, and had some rough spots.

My original intentions were to just use the saw "as is" for a while. Then, I decided I'd do a little work on it, but leave the major components intact. Well, as I started taking it apart, and as I began looking at some other old machinery restorations online, I grew bolder (maybe dumber?).

As it turns out, I ended up taking it apart down to each piece. Everything was cleaned up, most were repainted, some things were replaced, working mechanisms were re-lubed, bearings were replaced, and tires were replaced and crowned.

After reassembly and an afternoon of measuring and adjusting, I'm pretty happy with the end result. It runs smooth and strong, and mostly works as I imagine it did when brand new. I do need to make a few modifications for dust collection, and I'm working now on making a replacement fence (the original was missing).

Oh, and I made a custom mobile base for it. The footprint of the PM 81 is odd-shaped, and I've been wanting to try a home-build mobile base anyway. Works great so far.

Now to put it to work. I have a bed to build for the master bedroom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ben West; 06-28-2009 at 1:59 PM.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower