On Saturday my younger sister will be getting married. I had decided quite a while ago to build them something and settled on a hall table.
Well I finally got it built and finished to my satisfaction. I am very happy with the outcome.

The top is quarter sawn bubinga, as usual, the pics don't do the figure in the wood justice. I had pretty good success using a little hand plane to get the top smooth. The finish schedule for the top was 3 coats of shellac sealcoat, followed by 5 coats of WB General Finishes Poly, hand sanded up to 1500 grit, then polished with Briwax wax.

The base is African Mahogany. I used templates to get the legs, apron pieces and supports all the same. The joinery is quadruple dowels for the legs to aprons, pocket holes for the supports to aprons, and tale top clips for the supports to the top. Even with it's narrow stance it is very solid.
The finish on the base started out with 2 coats of black walnut Danish oil, to darken the mahogany, 3 coats of shellac sealcoat, and 3 coats of the same WB Poly I used on the top. Only sanded to 600 grit and no wax.

If you have questions, please ask, and all comments are welcome.

I will be presenting this table to my sister and her hubby tomorrow and I will update with how they like it.

Thanks for looking.

My dog doesn't seem so sure about what it's doing on HIS deck...

... but my 2 1/2 yr old certainly approves!

Ryan.