Thread: new purchase advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

new purchase advice

Hi all, I've been on SMC for awhile as a hobby woodworker and have just moseyed over to the engravers forum for a visit. My wife and I have been considering various ways to make our hobbies pay as we consider retirement, and I've got some questions about engraving. I have this vague idea (just starting on the consideration processs) of using an engraver/cutter to make items for sale (ie: picture frames, candle lanterns, etc) I've done some experimenting with scrollsaws and sold some items, but it seems that if I want to make a business out of such things, the accuracy and repeatability of a laser cutter would be the way to go.

AFter a brief search of the internet, I haven't been able to discover the cost of such machines. I'm thinking of a small machine - up to 12 x 18" capacity. I see they are available in lease-to-buy packages which tells me the aren't cheap. SO:

1.) how much are these things to buy outright? (ballpark numbers are ok at this point)
    2.) how much maintenance doe they require? are they pretty reliable?
    3.) Reccomendations on brands to consider or avoid? And why those brands?
    4. Any other tips for us?

Thanks in advance for your replies and your input. SMC is always a great resource!

Dave Sharpe
    Last edited by Dave Sharpe; 02-15-2010 at 11:48 AM.