I tried to tell you all you would get sick of these postings. This pace will slow down come spring - I promise!! You won't have to tolerate this much longer!

I mentioned the piece of Claro that I wanted to use with some curly maple for a lidded piece, but it had cracks, etc. I wanted to finish it out anyway, but this piece just did not want to be a bowl! Not only was it checked badly, but after I had the outside shaped, I chucked it in the recess, and the recess broke out as I started hollowing the bowl.

Had to screw on a faceplate, re-turn the outside to a lower profile, and redo the bottom with the recess.

The checks still showed badly, so I filled them with some coffee grounds - still wasn't very good as the wood had darkened over time around the checks.

The bowl would never look "refined" so I decided to try something different and beaded the outside with graduated beads - thus, the name "Rustic Ripples!"

With the coloration and checking, it is surely a rustic bowl. And again, a bunch of you may not care for this one, either. But, I just wanted to save this piece of wood.

So, here it is -
18-1.jpg18-2.jpg18-3.jpg18-4.jpg18-5.jpg