I'm gluing together alternating pieces of 1-3/4" thick walnut and red oak into an interesting pattern for a bar top. Roughly 40 pieces of wood. My typical method is to use biscuits for alignment and just glue/clamp. Takes me forever as I have the best success with two boards at a time, then two double boards, etc.

Has anyone ever tried and had success using pocket hole joinery instead of clamps? If successful, I'd guess it goes a lot quicker and is likely to be stronger in the long run. I'm not too concerned about the pocket hole screws showing because the bar top will lay on a sheet of plywood for support.

Initial problems I foresee is that Kreg doesn't make screws longer than 1-1/2" in fine thread. I tested their #8 2-1/2" blue coat screws (course thread) in some scrap, which appeared to work very well, except for the fact that I busted the screw trying to pull the heavy chunks of wood together. I could try the #10 stainless steel course screws which might hold up better, or 1-1/2" fine thread screws, but I've learned not to do anything until I bounce it off my buddy's here, as someone will always have a better idea. Thanks!

PS - I'm at work, when I get home I'll post a pic of the boards laid out in pattern so you can see what I'm trying to do. I also have a question regarding the best method to assemble this where the glue line is end grain to end grain.