Running into a problem in that my Laguna combination jointer/planer doesn't do a good job of chip collection with my 2HP Harbor Freight dust collector. (I've enlarged the input to 6", short run of flexible pipe, etc. to no avail - the planer bed fills up with chips.) My shop is a space challenged 2-car garage, so footprint is extremely important.

My question is, considering how cheap I can get another HF 2HP dust collector, can I roughly double the cfm by buying another unit and just using the motor/impeller and T'ing it into the intake and output ducts, using the same Wynn Engineering filter and collection bag? This would be cheaper than plan B, which is buying a larger impeller/housing from Grizzly (their 12.75" one) and using that to replace the 10" impeller on my Harbor Freight unit.

Plan C is using my Shop-vac and building a collection box to sit on the planer table while jointing to collect the chips. This seems so inelegant, and noisy (clearly noisier than two dust collector motors.)

What do you think is my best approach?