Thread: Used a sharpening service 1st time?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Used a sharpening service 1st time?

I needed to get my planer and jointer knives sharpened so I searched all over the Atlanta area and I found two places to get it done one was through Woodcraft but the guy that does their service wanted a lot more to sharpen than I paid for the knives to begin with so I went to the next place and I will withhold the name until the thread develops and I know that it is right. I will say that the place I took them was not Highland in fact I didn't even check with them, didn't think about it at the time. The last time my knives were dull I bought a second set of T1 HSS knives and when they arrived they were extremely sharp so I expected the freshly sharpened knives I picked up today to be the same. Now I didn't expect to shave my arms with them like my chisels and planes but I thought they would be as sharp as the last set of knives with a uniform and smooth grind. I haven't installed the newly sharpened knives which I will do tomorrow night and post the results. My question is are these typical results for a sharpening service or is there a better service in the Atlanta area or anywhere for that matter. I don't want to slam this guy or the store that uses him before I know what you all think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe