Like the title says, I need to get proactive and do something soon. My shop started off with a table saw and a hand me down craftsman 1hp dust collector. To start with it was enough, though it could probably be argued its 15 years old and has the original filter bags that probably don't do much more than stop chips.

My shop now has grown to take up about the size of a 1.5 car garage (I've taken over about half of our 3 car garage) and I have the following that I'd like to have (proper) dust collection at:

Contractor Style Table Saw
Router Table
Band Saw
12.5" Planer
6" Jointer
Chop saw
Drill press
Midi Lathe

At the table saw I just have it hooked up at the bottom right now but I am going to get a dust hood for it, in fact I have a lead on a slightly used one in town for cheap. The router is my best setup right now, I have bottom enclosed and hooked up and the fence is hooked up too, I get very little dust from the router if I work it right. The rest of the tools are another story.

I keep putting off designing a proper system and the more I have read and looked into this even running the right duct work my dust collector has to go. My shop get's dusty, bad. I know it's not healthy levels. Everything is covered in dust. I'd really like to stop doing that for many reasons. The number 1 reason being health. It's an attached garage so I know the dust is getting carried into the house. Anyway I think we all agree with this.

So I need some help. I've read and read and read and it sounds like a properly setup cyclone is the way to go but I don't know what that is. I look around and the Penn State units are half what the others are. Obviously I want to spend as little as possible but I want it to be right and be a permanent solution. I want dust collection at everything listed above and I want it to work. It's a one man shop and I only use one machine at a time obviously.

Help!