Thread: Our new Kitchen- Hickory NEVER again

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Our new Kitchen- Hickory NEVER again

I haven't posted much here lately as most of my time has been spent tearing down a wall, tearing out a kitchen and rebuilding everything. I still have a ways to go but the cabinets are mostly done. This was two rooms a smal kitchen and a small dining room.

- The backsplash and around the 3 sides of the island are going to be rock faced slate veneer panels. You can see them in some of the picks againts the wall.

- I still need to cover the Beam in hickory, a place not to far from here makes 10-12" hickory flooring that is sanded to look like it is hand scraped. It will look more like a hand huned beem when done.

-I still need to make the kick plates out of hickory.

- I learned I love the look of hickory but I don't think I ever want to do a big project out of it again. Can you say tear out.

-This was my first big cabinet project. I was pretty happy but most of all the wife was very happy. This was the only room in house she never cared for.

- I put down handscraped hardwood in the rest of the house 5 years ago but I bought extra for when I took down the wall. It matched great you can't tell were the new starts. Around the kitchen cabinets I used a floating cork floor for warmth and comfort.

- I used blum blu motion slides and the 450lb 30" fulterer pantry slide. That thing is amazing.

- We even did our own granite. It was much easier than I thought. I bought prefab slabs the came 26"x78" and the island was 36"x78". I made the island cabinet the right size so I didn't need to cut the island top. The rest cut easy with a circular saw and a daimond blade. I bought a varible speed angle grinder and diamond polishing pads the polish up the edges. I bought the farm house apron sink so I could under mount it with only make straight cuts.

- let me know what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 10-03-2010 at 9:24 PM.