Thread: Domino vs Pocket Holes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Domino vs Pocket Holes

I am about to embark on quite a few cabinet making projects. I'm talking hard use cabinets for my shop, basement and dog park/training business. I realize that it may not be fair to compare the Domino to Pocket Hole joinery but this is a construction method decision I am trying to make. I have a good supply of 1/2" ply, on sale form the Depot. I have been thinking about buying some hard pine or oak finished boards and using them for edging, frames around plywood doors & tops. I am wondering if the Domino would be a reasonable way to do the edge/frame joinery vs pocket holes? I do not think edge banding will give me a solid enough end product. I would rather not deal with MDF.

My Shop
    My shop is (14' x 20'), in the basement I finished a few years ago. I have a 15' x 12' room off the shop room, with solid metal shelving & wall mounted steel wood supports. I use the smaller room for storage of wood, parts... In the shop I have a Drill Press, Small 2HP General Table Saw, the smaller INCA band saw, small Hammer workbench, wall hanging board (like peg board but much stronger), a decent assortment of powered and hand tools, clamps, measuring devices, work support.. I had the shop wired for 120/240 with its own breaker box. I have an old Dewalt 12" chop/mitre saw & stand- 14 years old & has seen much better days.

Festools: MFT/3, TS 55 EQ, OF 1400 EQ Router, CT 22 Mobile dust Extractor, a few clamps, hoses, guides, accessories... I also made a cutting table with: 3/4 plywood, solid wood edge frame (to place clamps on), foam board cover, removable water pipe base ( not as easy to move around as I had hoped ;-) ).

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.