Thread: Sliding table saw: Too esoteric/specialized?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sliding table saw: Too esoteric/specialized?

I am currently using a Delta contractors saw that I purchased in '87. It's in great shape and equipped with a cast iron extension wing, Woodpecker PRL and Incra TSLS III + Wonder Fence. It works well, and my son and I use it often, building furniture, cabinets, etc. I use a Festool track saw to break down sheet goods.

But, the Delta is missing a riving knife and I am very safety conscious - especially with my son as a second shop user. I planned to purchase a SawStop ICS and possibly a slider attachment in replacement. But this week I received a sales flyer from Felder with good pricing on K3 Winner packages, which prompted research on sliders.

I am surprised how few have actually transitioned to a slider and how little online information (reviews, tutorials, etc) exists. Aside from Paul Cresti's posts on this board and a small number of 'slider evangelists', it's slim-pickings. I visited a K3 user's shop last week and now I'm vacillating on my saw selection.

On the one hand, the ICS would allow me to retain the excellent Incra fence, provide a riving knive and I could add a slider accessory, resulting in a familiar yet safer table saw solution.

Conversely, a 79" slider on the K3 seems even safer than the ICS for all crosscuts and if I add an Incra crosscut fence (as another user did), the system could approach the convenience of the TSLSIII. But in all honesty, I am concerned that the Felder overall will never really equal the ease and accuracy of the ICS + Incra fence for a furniture builder.

My shop is indistinguishable from a 3-car garage. I don't have the room or inclination to house both types of table saws.

So my question is: Do you think I'll find the slider accurate and convenient enought to use it exclusively? Obviously, there is no "right" answer. I am just trying to benefit from your experiences.
    Last edited by James Henderson; 12-08-2010 at 12:13 AM.