Found a local cl add with some maple, cherry, walnut and oak for sale and drove out this weekend to check it out. It is definitely a place I will be visiting more in the coming months! Great guy, good prices and good lumber. For the first trip my main goal was to scout out some maple. I've been toying with building a bench for months but as I get more into hand tools the more I need one. The smaller bench I have now is great but it walks away and racks a bit more than I care for. After chatting lumber for awhile it was getting dark so I loaded up and have this in the garage acclimating now. Don't worry it is stickered, this was shortly after unloading. About 100 bf of soft maple in 1.25x12 and 1.25x8 widths all 8' long
maple.jpg
*horrible pic I know, stupid iphone in low light.

I'm not 100% on what bench style it will be patterned after most but I've got a few decisions made.
  • It will be a laminated top about 3.5-4" thick, 24-30" wide and 6 to 8' long.
  • I may go slightly wider to around 34" if I decide to put a tool tray in the middle.
  • The legs will be flush with the front for clamping. And stability
  • Stretchers and legs will be made of SYP laminated together

I figure I'll let the lumber acclimate for a few weeks to a few months. Which should give me time to finish up decisions on bench style, hardware, have a baby and finish up the baby's dresser/changing table