Thread: Squaring a drawer after glue is dry

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Squaring a drawer after glue is dry

I did some searches for some ideas, but have had no luck, so I figure I will ask.

I recently built some drawers for my cabinets I am making for in the shop.

I used ambrosia maple for the drawer sides. It was cheaper than anything else. So why not. I dovetailed the drawers with my Leigh D4 jig.

For glue-up I clamped the dovetails and used two corner jigs to hold them what I thought to be square. The corner jigs are square.

I am installing the drawers using Accuride slides and have had trouble getting them to close flush to the face frame. While troubleshooting I have discovered a few of the drawers to not be square. I am confident my clamping procedure was correct...where I screwed up was placing them on the floor to dry while clamped. I didn't have enough truly flat surfaces and wanted to get all 6 glued up. So lesson learned...the bad thing is I knew better and still did it!

So...I am trying to figure out some ways to fix this screwup. I cut some 90 degree blocks to install in the back corner to try and square things up. I tried it on one and it did not work. Another option would be to cut the sides as close to the front and back and redo the joints. This would shorten the drawers about 1.25"...I would like to keep that as a last resort. Any ideas on how I may fix these?
    Last edited by Josh Rudolph; 01-23-2011 at 9:26 PM.