First I have a MIllers Falls #772 brace with the Lion chuck and Leland's universal jaws. Turns out the wire between the two sides of the jaws was twisted and popped loose from the weld on one of the jaws. I ordered some jaw parts from Stanley but they do not match up, newer (economy?) style. I was wondering if anyone has experience repairing a Lion chuck? I tried bending the wire back into the original shape and so far it is still in one piece, although it is still not exactly correct. I can get the end of the wire back through the whole but the jaw slides around on it. I guess it could be spot welded back in place, but I have no experience in such things. I was thinking about bending one of the new pieces of wire that came with the replacement jaws and trying to get it into the shape the older piece was in. Any ideas?

I see some chucks that are simply cylindrical in shape with two protruding jaws sticking well out from the end of the chuck, like a Millers Falls #1050-1054:
http://oldtoolheaven.com/brace/brace5.htm

Can anyone give me some idea of how well these jaws work with various bits, drills....? Just wondering if these chucks are good "users"?