I have a couple of questions I was hoping for some help with pertaining to lumber storage in my small shop.

First, my shop is 20x20 and is in the outfitting stage. I am planning the addition of some lumber storage sometime soon for 4x4, 8x4 type lumber, 8-12 inches max width, typically, and 8-12 foot in length max.

My first thought was some standard lumber racks. On this tangent, if anyone has some advice on where to get plans/design for some basic racks, I'd be highly appreciative. I swear I ran across this in a woodworking magazine in the last 16 months or so, but can't seem to track it down.

Anyways, my biggest concern about the "standard lumber racks" option is the amount of wallspace that will be consumed. With only a 20x20 shop to work with and a grand total of 80 linear wall space to work with, I am hesitant to loose such a commit amount of space.

One alternative ideas I had was to create some lumber bins where wood could be verically stored, leaning up against a wall, roped in for safety, and with holes cut in the drywall ceiling to allow long boards to stick through into the attic.

However, as I just dreamed up this idea based on the way lumber is often sold at woodcrafts, paxtons, etc, I am not sure if it is a good idea.

Part of me says that I am being silly and should just go with the standard horizontal racks.

So, I figured I would draw on the wisdom of SMC and get some input here.

Thoughts, advice, etc? Thanks!!!!

If need be, I can post some shop pics to let you know what I am working with.