The reason I ask is well, basically I hate my job. Right now I own and opperate a small dental laboratory with my fiance and my dad. I currently work about 60-70 hours a week, sometimes more. Pretty much whatever it takes to get the cases finished. The pay is minimal, I made 18k last year Quite frankly, I am tired of long, hard work weeks with little pay. I am still fairly young (24), and feel that if I want to make a career change, now is the time. I now a few other lab techs that have been in the business for a long time, and they all work very hard. I don't want to end up working my life away.

I like woodworking, and was just tossing around the idea of opening up a small shop selling cutting boards, bowls, salt/pepper shakers etc.. Small things that people don't hesitate to buy if they like it, and that are easy to make. I figure that as my skills get better I could start offering things like chairs, small tables and expand as I get better. I have been wanting to learn how to make real furniture since I joined this site a few years ago, but my current job just doesn't afford me the time it takes to do good woodworking.
I have been making spearguns and cutting boards for a while already. Some of my spearguns I think could easily sell for $500-750.

I just dont want to turn my hobby into my job, and end up hating it too. So, for you guys that do it for a living, is it still enjoyable? Do you wish you had ended up making a different career choice? Is the amount money you make reasonable for the amount of time you put into the job?

Thanks in advance, any and all input will be greatly appreciated!
John K