Thread: Shaker Style Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shaker Style Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Here is a cabinet I designed after a classic Shaker secretary to fit our iMac. I started this just before Christmas and just about have it finished - I've only applied a coat of BLO and will spray it (pre-cat lacquer) as soon as it warms up. It's a bit dull right now, but once it's sprayed, it will pop quite a bit more. Regardless, these pics are a long time coming... too long.

Pretty straight forward construction. I paid a great deal of attention to the grain on the doors to make sure that it all flows and is cut, if possible, from a single board. All the dovetails are cut by hand so that I could get the thinnest of pins. The door handles and desk stays came from Whitechapel, while the hinges came from Horton Brass. Both produce top notch hardware! Excellent stuff. Some of the screws were too shiny so I blued them with liquid gun blue. A great trick that gives a nice look to otherwise shiny screws!

If you want to check out all my construction pics, you can check them out at my blog that's linked under my name. They're under "new work."

Anyway, that should about cover the bases. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images