Thread: CD Bookcase

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CD Bookcase

I have been thinking about CD storage lately, namely, the fact that they all have wide shelves, and when full of CDs, the shelves always seem to droop. Now this may be mostly attributed to the fact that all of our CD bookcases are cheap particleboard, but would still have this fear if it was solid wood. This lead me to think about these CD holder strips, but I didn't like the idea of plastic (I figured they would break fairly soon), so at first I thought about a dado for each CD, but that would be a lot of wasted space. Then it finally hit me to just make each shelf smaller, so there would be less unsupported weight in the middle. I know it took me a little too long to come to this conclusion, but I guess that's just how it goes sometimes.

Anyway, I just now got around to modeling it in SketchUp, and this is what I came up with:
    CD Bookcase.jpg

And for those curious, the CDs would be sorted alphabetically by column
    But anyway, I have a few questions about my design.
    First of all, are there already plans for something like this, so I could just start building instead of trying to design it?
    Next, if there aren't any, and I do need to design it, would you suggest sticking with the current design, or try a different style?

The dimensions are 54" x 12" x 68.5"
    Some of my worries:
    To start with, the vertical dividers are 1" thick to accommodate the dados for the shelf, each dado 1/4" deep, leaving 1/2" of wood between shelves. I'm worried that might make it look too thick. How shallow can you make dados (possibly letting me bring the thickness down to 3/4")? Also, I will have to redo it anyway, since we don't have anywhere that it would fit at this point. I figured out that at its current stage, it would hold about 1,118 CDs. I'm pretty darn sure we don't have that many CDs, so downsizing it shouldn't be a problem, but I'll try to get a better idea of exactly how many we have tomorrow.

Here is a link to the model in the 3D Warehouse if you want a better look at the model. And of course feel free to ask any questions that I haven't covered.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Trying desperately to get over my fear of spending money.