I have put up some slatwall that I cannibalized from some retail displays snagged from a clothing store that went out of business. This stuff has the aluminum inserts in the approximately "T" shaped slots.

I would really like to hang my nuts and bolt bins from the slatwall, and tried to make some "Z" shaped plywood pieces to act much like the metal hangers that snap into the slots. However, despite multiple iterations, I came to the hasty conclusion that if I made a "Z" thin enough to snap into the slat, that it would probably not be strong enough to reliably secure a bin of hardware without risk of breaking the bracket.

Has anyone come up with a decent DIY bracket for these walls, or am I just going to have to suck it up and buy more of the pricey metal brackets? I'm sure someone with a decent metal brake could whip some of these out of aluminum or steel, but I was hoping there was an easy solution for a guy without much in the way of metalworking equipment, or an extrusion I could buy from the hardware store with the right cross-section that I could just cut with a sawzall or other crude metal-cutting tool.

Many thanks for any help.