This project took a lot longer than I anticipated (big surprise). I just finished with some of the hardware this evening.

We recently decided to spend some money to execute some much needed decorating in the house (moved into this new house 3 years ago, but several rooms look like we moved in yesterday).

One of the decorating items was to bring our family room into the modern era and get rid of the portly rear projection TV and associated media unit (which I built about 10 years ago) and update it to a modern flatscreen. But being the quasi-video/audiophile that I am, I wanted to make sure that the TV was at the right height, and that the center channel was also optimized. Neither of those two could be achieved with any of the store bought TV consoles that would fit between the two windows to where this must go, so I designed and built my own.

It was my first project using essentially solid maple for all exterior surfaces and despite what I thought I already knew, I learned a lot - particularly about finishing maple. It's far from perfect, but in the end, I am pleased with it.

You can see more pictures and some during the build here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sliderul...onsoleProject#

-Chris