Guys, a couple of weeks ago I posted a topic about a used Unisaw that I was considering, and you guys gave me some good advice.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...deal&p=1688849

I didn't go with that particular one but soon came across a 3-phase model in good condition and at a good price so I picked it up last weekend.

As you might expect, I do not have a 3-phase feed to my shop but I do have 240V. I've read up and understand a rotary converter or VFD would be better, but I want to build a static phase converter to save money and I think I can live with the modest loss of power for the type work I do. I have an electronics background and suitable instrumentation to fine tune the capacitor values and solve little issues that may arise (without electrocuting myself).

Have any of you guys built a static phase converter for a 3HP Delta motor? What capacitor values did you end up using? I'm just looking for a starting point...I realize they will need tweaking since the motor design has probably gone through various changes over the years.

I just didn't want to have to start with a wheelbarrow full of capacitors to be able to try 25 different combinations. I also hoped to minimize the amount of abuse that I subject the motor to while trying those combinations.