I’m trying to expand my arsenal of woodworking tools and I’m probably one of the few that has never owned a router table. In fact, I really never learned the many capabilities of a router (have an old cMan 1 ½ HP fixed base).

A new router and router table purchase has been on my short list for quite a while, and I’ve finally decided to make a decision and purchase. I’d really appreciate some advice from the knowledgeable router members.

I’ve been vacillating between a bench top (Bench Dog, Rockler, etc.), TS extension (Cast Iron or Melamine), or floor model (Rockler, Grizzly, etc.) table. Space is always an issue, but my workshop is in my garage and I could make room for a floor unit. From the features, the new Grizzly Sliding Table Router Table (C0528), looks great, but being a router novice, I don’t know if the sliding table feature is worth the additional cost.

I had zeroed in on the PC 890 2 ¼ HP as a router for dedicated table mount, but after reading a number of related threads on this board, I’m thinking that I should seriously consider the Hitachi 3 ¼ HP.

I know I’m starting to ramble and, currently, I don’t have any specific projects lined-up to give you an idea of what I’m planning to use this new tool for …. I feel the new capabilities presented by this tool combo will open up new and current project possibilities.

Any advice, suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated ….

Tom