Thread: Buying a computer, should I get a Mac?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Just for the record, here's a video of what it takes to get the malware on a mac. I'd say that's a LONG way from being a huge threat....
    It is pretty typical of much of what is out there for Windows.

My daughter ran into it yesterday on her Mac.

She was able to force-quit the browser. That is pretty much your only option to get it off the screen. There is no "cancel" or "close" option. Just an "ok."

Many Mac users (and Windows users) don't understand what is going on, and when confronted with a menu that has only one option, will continue to click on that option. Yes, this is low-hanging fruit (relying on the clueless user for mouse clicks), but it worked surprisingly well.

The problem is, there is a code base now. The people responsible for this crap will continue forking/evolving it. Adding code to take advantage of a security vulnerability isn't that difficult.

That has been my experience on Windows, I suspect the Mac will be the same.

It will probably quiet down for a few weeks, and then hit again around the 4th of July. I've noticed major Windows malware attacks centered around holidays. Makes sense, really, as the people that fix this sort of crap like to take time off, too. So a good time to strike. I suspect we will see something new around the 4th of July.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 06-03-2011 at 2:28 PM.