Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
Hi Bobby, I owned a cabinet saw with an all metal guard, it was a General 650.

When I worked in industry, most of the machines had guards that you couldn't see through, who cares, there's nothing to see in that area.

When you are ripping, your eyes need to be on the fence/wood interaction, not on the saw blade. I guarantee that it's still cutting even if you don't watch it.

This isn't Schroedingers cat we're talking about, it's wood machinery.

When you are crosscutting, use a mitre gauge or sled with a flip stop for length, then watch the mitre gauge or sled and wood interaction, no point watching the cut, you don't need to see it.

Do yourself a favour and buy a splitter or riving knife, and a good overhead guard with dust collection. You deserve to be safe................Rod.

Great points, Rod. There's some great correction there. I don't watch the blade during rips anyway! As for my miter gauge (Osborne) and crosscut sled (home made) I do tend to watch the blade. Though, I agree, its not necessary. I tend to watch it because I have the work piece in my hands against the jig, so I dont worry about that particular relationship. I'll need to look in to accessories for this saw.