Thread: Hammer A3-31 Purchase Decision - Your thoughts on Accessories

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammer A3-31 Purchase Decision - Your thoughts on Accessories

I've read most (if not all) of the threads about the machine itself, and I'm pretty much sold. I was wondering if any of the owners out there would be willing to share their thoughts on the actual utility of the extension tables and the upgraded handwheel with the depth guage.

The idea of having two detachable 16" tables is very appealing to me (saves pace when not needed, but the extra support is there for those rare times you need it). However, the cost for the tabls and brackets certainly isn't trivial. I'm wondering if a pair of roller stands would work just as good to get the job done for those tasks that only occur a few times per year. Any thoughts from those that have purchased them, or those that have opted to skip them?

How about the upgraded handwheel with the built in guage? Seems like quite a novelty to me, but I could see it being useful since you may be doing more raising and lowering of the planer table when switching between jointing and planing mode. Any opinions out there?

I don't see myself doing enough mortising to warrant that upgrade, but any other suggestions on what I should consider?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sean Kinn; 06-27-2011 at 3:39 PM.