Hi Guys,

I've been kicking the idea of building a boat around for a long time. Actually, I began a small row boat project in my high school woodshop club, but I never made it past the keel. I started with no real understanding of how to go about things, and add that to having no time real to devote to it, so it never got under way.

Anyway, I've recently come back to the idea of doing it. I'm thinking of making a flat bottom dory, something simple, that would be a nice rowing boat.

I'd like to keep costs to a minimum, because I don't want to spend all year on it, which is what I'd do if I went for expensive materials. I was thinking of making the planking (I'd rather not do plywood) from 1x pressure treated pine. I know it's not the typical way of doing it, but I think for an inexpensive boat it could be a good choice. They might tend to shrink a lot, but being wetter than other wood, it would be easier to wrap around, I'm thinking. And when it's in water it should swell fine again.

By the way, I'm thinking of doing the carvel style, not lapstrake side.

Has anyone done a similar project, using similar material?

If so, what's a good way of sealing the seams? I know traditionally it's cotton and some tar type substance, but are there good enough modern sealants where you don't need to bother with the cotton?

I'm not familiar with boat building at all really, so excuse me if any of my questions are elementary.

Thanks,

Joe