I read some of the other threads on a similar topic, but thought mine was split enough it was easier to make my own. Okay onto the question...

Hello, I'm a long time lurker and I just started posting today. I've been thinking of getting into custom engraving as a side business. About me, I'm a welding engineer by day, my background is in art and I have a second degree in CNC machining. I've worked with quite a lot of lasers (as a welding engineer) and done my share of CNC work and worked as a waterjet operator. I think I have the necessary background in hardware and software skills to plug into laser engraving, obviously I lack all the learned applied knowledge that comes over time.

Now I was thinking of doing laser engraving as a side business, with the intention of it NOT becoming a full time job, or a prime bread winner. I wanted a fun constructive hobby in-line with my skills, and I make a decent wage as an engineer. However I would like to make enough money to pay off the laser, and bring in some pocket money to pay for other toys.

Now my question is:
For those of you who run a laser as a side business, what sort of time investment in terms of hours per week / month do you put in?
What would be a realistic goal for net sales, and how long did it take in months to start turning a profit?

What I was looking at was a time investment of ~10+ hours a week 40/month minimum and a target of $1000 net/month. I figure at that rate I wouldn't be buying a ferrari but I would be able to pay off the small business loan I'm considering taking out and have some money left over. I'm worried that the only profitable jobs I would find are small to medium sized runs and I would be stuck working 3-5 hr/day after work 5 days a week in order to keep my head above water.

Finally as far as product: I would like to stay out of the onesies and twosies trophy plaque market (although I would be willing to take on the work). I think I would be looking to try my hand in custom motorcycle parts and custom gauges. Now I understand that a lot of those types of jobs are more about networking, marketing and getting in with the right references, but I think I could push that market and make some inroads and hopefully setup a few "product lines" to get some repeat work going.

Thoughts? Am I off base or crazy? I happen to have a coworker who owns an older 90's epilog laser, I was thinking of running some lead pieces on his machine or acting as a middle man to see if I could find a product that sells, prior to making the considerable investment.