Hello,

I've been lurking here for a couple years. I build guitars in Spokane WA, and have a question.

I have a modest shop in a detached 1 1/2 car garage, about 220 sq ft, that's just a little tight for me, where I build my acoustic guitars. Med-size TS, BS, small drum sander, DP, dust collector etc. I've taken over the garage, and am thinking it would be nice to park one car in the garage, especially when it's snowy, and have space for my shop. The present building is minimal construction mid-50s, 2 x 4 stud on 24" centers, hip-roof, which looks like the kid on the crew built it, just a bit rough but solid, has two 20A circuits and a good flat concrete floor. Needs a roof and paint. I don't believe there's a footing.

I'm trying to decide whether to add onto it, making it a tandem garage with the shop in back half, adding a second building in back (with a wood floor perhaps, pros and cons?), or tearing down the present garage and building a 2 1/2 car garage. I haven't gotten far enough to think about a budget. I'm pretty crippled up, walk on crutches, so I'd be hiring all the labor needed. Not much to go on I realize, but does anybody have any insights?

Thanks,

Pat