So I am about to begin my journey on building a true workbench. I have been working off of a modified New Yankee chop saw bench for awhile and have realized that I am really missing out by not having proper clamps and the right height to work at, let alone no bench dogs.

I have read Chris Schwarz' book on workbenchs and have finally come around to considering a leg vise. I thought about one of the typical face vise setups, but the more I read about it, the more I realized that the type of wood working I will be doing would benefit from the leg vise instead (with sliding deadman). That being said, I have considered a twin screw vise instead for the front, but I am also thinking of putting one of those on the end of the bench instead. Any thoughts around that decision?

As I have read this wonderful site, I have seen discussions around Benchcrafted and their leg vise. I read the site and was really excited about the vise, that is, until I saw the price!

Is it worth it?! I am trying to justify it after falling in love with the design of it. I used to be able to drop money on woodworking whenever I wanted to justify it, but now I have a little one that commands a certain percentage of that woodworking budget!

That being said, I am also looking at the Veritas Twin Screw Vise for the end of the bench. I believe I am going to get a lot of use out of it when doing glue ups and other tasks that may be suited to that clamp.

Does it make sense to have both of those vises on this workbench anyway? I think it does, since they serve some distinct differences and I am not too interested in installing a tail vise.

All thoughts and recommendations are welcome!