I'm wanting to replace my Delta 8" variable speed grinder that I use for sharpening my tools (with a Wolverine system). Very long story short, the grinder is out of warranty and ever since I took the original wheels off to replace them with Norton wheels, they will not run without wobbling. It is a left/right wobble as you face the grinder, not an out-of-round issue. I can of course true the wheels for round, so that isn't the problem. I've machined good acetyl bushings to rule out the cheesy nested bushings that Norton includes with their wheels as the problem. I've taken it to the Delta service center, who recognized the problem but couldn't help since it was out of warranty and they didn't see it as something that could be corrected after looking at it for quite a while. They tried Delta wheels on it, which didn't correct it. It is usable, but certainly not smooth, and it irritates me to no end.

So, I am ready to replace it with a better quality grinder, in hopes that I'll have better luck.

Looking at options, I'm finding that not many folks make a variable speed grinder or slow speed grinder. Delta and Woodcraft's model seem to be the only choices, and I looked over the Woodcraft one pretty close and just was not impressed at all. Its quality seems to be on par with the Delta I have, and a lot of reviews I've read indicate that people have had trouble getting wheels to run true on it. I'm leaning towards the Jet 8" grinder, but it runs pretty quick RPM's. I'm a pretty firm believer that HSS tools do not have their temper ruined by heat from grinding, based on my experience and reading. But I recognize that you're bound to take more steel off your tools when the wheel's moving that fast.

Looking to you guys for your input. What grinder do you have, and has it served you well? Have you changed the wheels on it, and when you did, did you have problems with left/right wobble? Those of you that run regular-speed grinders, has it worked ok for your sharpening?

I'd go for a Baldor, but can't swing $500 for a grinder. If I could, I'd be looking into a Tormek. I just love the Wolverine setup and don't want to give that up.

Thanks for any input you might have!

Aaron