Hi folks,

This is my first post in this community. I'm a new woodworker, too. The final push to get me going was the project on currently working on. I’m designing a canopy for my 75 gallon aquarium.

The canopy will be able to open in a couple different ways. One way will just open the front portion of the hinged lid (for feeding time), and the second way will be able to open the whole lid up and out of the way (for maintenance).
Think of the hinged lid as kind of an “L” rotated 90 degrees clockwise. One hinge will be near the intersection of the “L”, but set a little further back, so that the piece can be opened and rested on the long part of the “L”. I’ll probably just use some kind of continuous hinge in this location.
The second hinge point will be at the end of the “L” and will lift the whole lid up on some kind of chest lid hinge. I haven’t decided on hardware for the hinges yet…
BUT, my question is… what kind of joinery would y’all suggest at the intersection of the “L”?
This lid will be opened multiple times a day, so it would have to be able to put up to some abuse. I plan on using 1/2” stock so that the whole canopy is not too heavy, and can be removed by one person in a pinch.
I’ve included a sketchup model (render) of the canopy, minus the lid…

thanks for reading!!