Thread: Pair Of Shop Made Backsaws

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Pair Of Shop Made Backsaws

Below are some photos of a pair of what I would call "sash" saws I recently built with parts from Wentzloff and split nuts from TFWW.

The handles are Cocobolo finished with blonde shellac and wax. The longer saw is 16” x 3” depth of cut with a .020” thick saw plate. Filed crosscut, 12 points per inch.

The smaller saw his 14” x 3” depth of cut with a .018” thick saw plate. Filed crosscut, 14 points per inch.

I prefer backsaws that are longer, with thinner saw plates than may be typical. I built these saws for use on my bench hook/mini miter box for trimming rails, styles, drawer sides etc.

This is about the fourth generation of backsaws like this I've built. In earlier versions I struggled with accurately fitting the split nuts and introducing bows in the Saw Plate with the attachment of the split nuts.

Thanks to the coaching of many here on the Creek, particularly Ray, Klaus, George etc., this time around I've been able to lick these problems and this latest generation of saws works very well. They are a pleasure to use.

The things that overtime worked best for me are:

· Drill press not hand drill
    · Punch not drill holes in saw plate
    · Slit not laminated brass back
    · Practice

There are many here that are much more expert than me and better qualified to comment on the "right" way to build saws.

I have one more thin-plate dovetail saw (birds eye maple) in process and when that's done, my till of shop-made backsaws will be complete (12 in total). The downside is I'm going to need to get rid of some of my vintage rehabilitated backsaws to make room for the new arrivals.

I never would have attempted to build these saws if it weren't for the inspiration and expertise I got from everyone here on the Creek and I'm really grateful for both.

Thanks for looking,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images