I'm in the process of establishing a method that works consistently for me regarding adding the Braille section to ADA signs. What I have achieved the most success with is resizing all the Braille dots individually (PITA but manageable) lasering them, then hand drilling the holes to 1.5 mm then placing a Braille ball on each hole, placing a 1/32" tall fence/shim around the braille section, topping with a granite tile and pressing them in with a clamp. This gets them all inserted to a uniform depth where they usually, but not always, stay inserted.

My questions:

1. I know a rotary engraver makes quick work of drilling the braille holes, but in the meantime, is anyone using their CNC router to drill the holes? Doable? Precisebits.com sells a 1.5mm bit with a 1/8" shank. Thought I'd ask before buying the bit and collet set.

2. Are there better ways of inserting the balls? I don't mind doing them via the Outten Method, one at a time, but they never seem set to a uniform depth that way.

I know you guys have beat this to death over the years, I've been following all the ADA Signage threads, and read all the old ones as well, but I could use some advice in these areas.

I'm grateful to all who share their knowledge here.

Sotos