Thread: Help with flush veneer door slabs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help with flush veneer door slabs

I think I have a problem with some custom door slabs. They're solid core (particle board) cherry veneer with natural cherry edges. It looks like the veneer over the cherry edges is going to finish darker than the veneer over the particle board core. The veneer itself appears to be very thin cherry over an mdf core, much like mdf core veneer "plywood" but thinner, maybe 1/8"

My plan was a light sanding with 220, vacuuming, a wipe with mineral spirits, then MW Pre-Stain conditioner, Zar-Plus satin poly with a maple stain, then MW WOP.

This photo is after the wipe with mineral spirits. You can see the dark strip along the right edge. I have tried spot sanding the darker strip at the edge, but it didn't seem to improve it much. At least it didn't make it worse.

This is the inside of a closet door, so I could try finishing all the way to see if the conditioner evens it out or the stain covers it, but I thought I should see if anyone has had this problem first.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary