Hi, all -

Thought I'd share an experience today that absolutely opened my eyes and was about as thrilling as a woodworking experience can be (at least to me). Based on Archie's "gloat" thread on the Sigma Power ceramic stones, I did some research, talked to Stu, and bought a set of Sigma Power stones (400, 1000, 6000, 13000) to replace the 'scary sharp' method I'd been using. First off, many thanks to Archie for his thread - I'd been looking for an alternative, but didn't know enough. All of you that contributed to that thread helped immensely. Second, thanks to Stu for incredibly informative exchanges, and especially for the stones! Now, my coming out: I'm a waterstone user!

I was primarily a machinery user for years, and about a year ago made the decision to migrate to a neander mentality and process. Many reasons, but that's another thread. However, the scary sharp system which had worked for me in the past was quickly wearing on me - far too many blades to sharpen, and far too expensive to deal with! The move to the Sigmas has been astounding - I can't believe how fast the Sigmas worked, and although my first chisel is not something I care to photograph and share, it took far less time to look as it does than it used to take!

In all seriousness, I know I have more to learn, but these stones are amazing. It took a little time to flatten them for first use, and I took so much time with them the chisel actually started to rust, but I learned a bunch and I've got a great set of stones. My biggest issues with them is that as the back of the chisel flattened out, I found it hard to move the chisel without moving the stones...the surface tension ('suction') was great enough to pose some difficulties. I also need to learn how long to go before rinsing the swarf, I think I erred FAR on the side of caution and rinsed the stones every 10 strokes. My fingertips are not bleeding, but my fingerprints are definitely shallower, and I have a scary sharp (pardon the phrase) chisel and can't wait to have more.

On top of this coming out, I figure I need to ask a question - is there a good video that is recommended for new waterstone users? I learn far better by watching than by reading, and I'm convinced I don't have this down right. Alternately, anyone in the central CA area want to offer to show me the right way to use these things? I'd hate to screw them up from ignorance...

daniel