Thread: Need a Name For This

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need a Name For This

I have never named a turning before, but feel this one demands one-- One that will help explain what it is that I am trying to do here. I thought about "Birth", "Emergence", "Surfacing" or somethinglike that, but I don't know the protocol for naming a turning. I know Steve, John, them David boys, Scott and several others have named their turnings, so there must be rules and regulations for doing it. Like with the American Kennel Club you register your dog and you are not allowed to name it the same as someone else's dog. Heaven forbid two turnings with the same name. Maybe I'll just call it "George".

Well, "George" is a piece of Hackberry 9 1/2 inches high with a trunk diameter of 9 1/2 inches. It is hollowed to about 3/8 of an inch. Since it is still "green" I only rough turned it, then sanded it to 180 grit to get the fuzz off. No finish, but I did coat it inside and out with a paste wax to try and slow down the drying and minimize checking and warping. Depending on how it dries, I may put it back on the lathe and put a proper finish on it.

If anyone has a better name than "George" let me know; I'm open to suggestions.

P2010043.JPG
    P2010044.JPG

What do you think??
    Last edited by Bill Bulloch; 02-01-2012 at 8:05 PM.