Thread: Roof: Ridge Vents AND turbines?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Roof: Ridge Vents AND turbines?

My thinking is "the more, the merrier", as far at attic ventilation and air exchange opportunities go.

I have a ridge vent now, and will be getting a new roof as soon as it stops raining. (hooray for the rain!). I told my roofer I wanted to add turbines and keep the ridge vents. He said no problem.

For piece of mind (on the pricing I got) I had another roofer come give me a bid this afternoon. Price was right in line with the other, but we had an argument over using turbines AND ridge vents.

He said to use one or the other, not both. He said if I used both, there would be "stagnant air" above the turbines (inside the attic at the ridge). I asked what stagnant air was. He said air that would not move. (I'm laughing to myself at this point). I asked why it wouldn't move. He said the "cold air pushing up into the soffit vents would all be going out the turbines". I told him "cold air will never be pushing anything up, and that hot air rose, and created a low pressure that sucked 'cold' air up through the soffit vents". He didn't seem to grasp this.

I then asked "why wouldn't hot air, above the turbines, and below the ridge vent, not also be rising and going out the ridge, either through normal processes, or even from being drafted out. He then looped back to "Use one of the other - you'll create stagnant air". We did this twice, and then he finally said "hey, if you want both, I'll do both."

I thanked him for his time and his bid and showed him the door.

Am I nuts?
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 02-17-2012 at 7:58 PM. Reason: typo