On Sunday, my wife and I took some work over to Gallery M in Half Moon Bay. I have been aware of this establishment for many years but, for some reason, I never approached them. After sending some images, I was "invited" to bring some pieces for them to look at. So we took a drive over to the coast to meet Andreas Strieve, the owner and show him some pieces.

Our first impression when we walked in was very similar to the old "kid in a candy store" analogy. This gallery is a one room affair and it's very modest in size. But it is literally stuffed to the rafters with spectacular examples of the finest woodwork being done today. Everything from simple wood rings and key chain baubles to "man sized" wooden clockworks. Sculptures, dining room sets, rocking chairs, dressers, jewelry boxes, you name it. And top quality examples of turning everywhere you look. It might sound like a big jumble but Andreas has managed to display all of this in a manner that allows each piece to have it's own space so that everything complements rather than competes with it's neighbors.

Andreas is obviously an "aficionado" with a deep love of fine woodwork and a deep respect for those who produce it. Meeting with him was a refreshing change from the haughty "no time for you" attitude I have come to expect from gallery owners. He is a very "straight ahead" person who knows his business and who is obviously extremely fair minded. This was reflected in the consignment agreement we signed with him. The gallery does a 60/40 split with the bigger portion going to the artist. His consignment agreement is two pages of simple, understandable and fair terms that include prompt payment for pieces sold and full coverage by the gallery for any pieces lost or damaged.

I took nine pieces with me and came back with two. Andreas was very frank about business being slow these days but "picking up a bit lately". He made no big promises about how I was going to retire on the sales but promised to do his best to "find the pieces new homes". There was a steady stream of people through the gallery the whole time we were there.

When I got home, there was an email from Andreas asking for jpegs of the pieces he had so that he could put them on his web site. He obviously works at promoting and trying to sell the pieces he has. Overall, I was extremely pleased to have had a chance to meet him and I have no reservations about my work being in good hands.

http://www.gallerym.net/