Haven't had much turning time lately, but finished this piece off a week or so ago that was started a couple months ago and then just got around to taking some pics. I have had this block of BLM burl for a couple years, and I took it down from a shelf and noticed some worm holes, so figured it was time to gouge away everything that didn't look like a vase.
I took it to a club meeting about a month ago prior to dyeing and mentioned my intentions...oh boy...a resounding "how dare ye dye a beautiful piece of wood like that!"

Well, we ain't no strangers to adding a bit of color to a piece so I gave LOML a vote on color...and red it is.

Just under 12" tall, 7.5" diam. The inside is highly finished in red as well, with several coats of WTF as is the outside with too many coats to count. Sanded back at final coat to 600 and triple buffed plus Renwax. Some subtle yellow highlights were added after initial dye work and before beginning WTF application. Alcohol based transtint was used, after a thin sealing coat of shellac.

I thank Joe Landon for a nice discussion we had regarding dyeing, and though I was too far into this piece to try, I will likely attempt something along the line of his water based approach next time to get a deeper base to the color.

Oh...and this piece was in process when the "to tuck or not to tuck" thread started, and that discussion helped guide my own thoughts on this piece not wanting for a full tuck. There is ever so small a break of the corner at the base only. The result is a very stable piece with no 'tippiness' whatsoever...kind of a breakaway for me and some other pieces I've done recently. Each side has it's own unique character...so here are the different views.
blm_red vase _solid front_reduced.jpgblm_red vase _Front open_Reduced.jpgblm_red vase _Left open_Reduced.jpgblm_red vase _Right open_Reduced.jpg

All comments and critique welcome.