This spalted poplar is the first wood I ever turned much with. It was from a tree I had taken down several years before I started turning, and I made some awful initial pieces with it...not knowing how special it really was. I kinda took the attitude that it was rotten wood, but good practice. I didn't even know the word spalting when I started cutting up the pieces for turning blanks. Fortunately, I didn't get thru all of it, and sealed/saved away several pieces, though not particularly large. This was turned about 6 weeks or so ago...before I started on some home projects that have absorbed my time.

The photos don't do justice to some of the green heartwood and even pink undertones present.
A little over 4" diam, 3.5" tall and light as a feather. Too many coats of WTF to count, and buffed out, but again, pics don't do justice to the sheen. I may just have to take a local workshop on photography being offered this summer for 6 weeks. I think it may take my photos up a notch.

C&C welcome as always...and I should say a special thanks to Steve S who's body of work with SW forms has made this variation among my favorites to do and build upon with so much of the pieces I do.
sp poplar_Reduced.jpgsp poplar a_Reduced.jpg