Thread: Powermatic 1150 VS Drill Press Rebuild. HELP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Powermatic 1150 VS Drill Press Rebuild. HELP

I bought a like new Powermatic 1150 VS serial #8615V167 in 1993 and it served me well until 2005 when the drive sheave assembly was damaged beyond repair because of a loose bolt. I patched it up and it runs, but I cannot adjust the speed and it is very noisy. It is not the most used machine in my shop, so for 7 years I have used it with no speed adjustment along with hearing protection. It does what I need it to do but it is not a joy to use.

I have decided to do something about it. I really was not interested in rebuilding so I went drill press shopping. There is NOTHING new out there under $1500 that can possibly compare to my 1150. The only advantage the new ones have over the 1150 is their table raising mechanisms. This DP has had a gentle life in my cabinet shop - very little use. The way I see it, I have to get interested in rebuilding, and I have to come up with a table raising mechanism.

I believe my DP was born in 1986. Does anyone have a 1986 manual?

According to a 1993 manual, I will need a fixed flange sheave #3719177 internal drive shaft #3144006, VS belt 6077158. Where can I get these parts and instructions on how to install them?

Anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate a table raising mechanism?

Guys, your information and advise on this rebuild will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-01-2012 at 5:44 PM.