This is my first visit to this side of the creek. I have never used a lathe before (well, maybe a few times in shop class a LONG time ago). But, I have always wanted to give it a try. I especially like bowls. I can see myself turning spindles for furniture, small bowls and maybe some pens. I just purchased a Rikon 70-050VS lathe ($249 on sale at Highland Woodworking, normally $429). I also just bought a book by Raffan. My plan is to start out easy, maybe a few pens, so I bought a dvd on pen making. I plan on getting a set of (3) Benjamin's Best chisels from PSI which consists of a 3/8" gouge, a 1/2" oval skew and 1/8" parting tool. I will also need a mandrel and some supplies (glue, etc.) and some pen kits. I hope to take a class on pen turning and, once I get some experience, bowl turning. I know I will need other things before turning bowls and spindles, but I wanted to start out slowly and make sure I like turning before I purchase a lot more accessories. Am I starting out right or do you think I should be doing things differently? I appreciate your suggestions.

Dick