Thread: Bending Veneer for Waterfall Front Dresser

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bending Veneer for Waterfall Front Dresser

Hello,

This is one of my first post even though I've been on the board here for several years. I've done woodworking as a hobby for the last 30 years or so. I haven't been as active as I'd like to be but finally am getting around to putting my shop to good use. That is where this question comes from:

LOML found a dresser that reminded her of one that was in her house growing up, the price was right, so she purchased with the intent of having me refinish it, which is going well with one exception. The top comes complete with a waterfall front edge, but the veneer that was there was damaged beyond repair so it needs to be replaced. Sounds simple enough but I'm stumped as to how to get the veneer to bend over that edge?

I've searched the forums here and also Joe Woodworker's site but am unable to find any help. I tried a Google search, but no real help. Surely I'm not the only one trying to re-veneer one of these am I?

Would a steam generator work for bending the raw wood veneer (lacewood) or is there a better method I'm unaware of? I just worry about the thin wood withstanding the steam process.

Here are a couple of photos (sorry for the quality) showing the dresser in question.

2012-08-17 15.49.18.jpg 2012-08-17 15.49.39.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Ogletree; 09-14-2012 at 5:29 PM. Reason: Spelling