Hi Everybody – I’ve been away from the creek for the last few months because of work, and even worse, I’ve barely done any woodturning! Things are starting to slow down to a more normal pace, and it is good to be back. Anyway, on to my questions.

Two weekends ago, I got to see Andy Cole demonstrate at my club, and the first thing he did was core a natural edge set of bowls with the McNaughton. Wow!!! I was impressed. I had arranged the demo, so I also got some wood for him – from a large 15” half log to some smaller 8 to 12 inch natural edge blanks so he would have some choices. I had assumed he would take the largest blank to core, but he ended up with a 10” blank and was able to get 5 bowls out of it. Did I mention I was impressed? Of course he made it look easy, but I know it isn’t, at least for beginners. Now, being a mild tool junkie, after seeing that, I want a coring rig too.

The only hang up may be my lathe. I have a Delta 46-460 12” with 1 hp. At the hand’s on, the next day, I asked Andy about it, and he felt I wouldn’t have a problem coring on it, but I wanted to get a few more opinions and ask a few more questions. So what do you guys & gals think? Will my lathe be up to the task?

Also, I’m thinking of skipping the micro system and getting the small system from Woodworker’s Emporium. I’ve looked at McNaughton’s website, and it looks like this would give me the standard 5 pin tool gate. Will the standard gate take all of the blades offered – from the micro to the jumbo? If I upgrade my lathe in the future, I want to be set up for coring without having to buy a new gate, just larger blades. And speaking of the gate, I would buy it with the normal 1” post (so I can upgrade) and buy a 5/8” post so I could use it with my current Delta. Is this size post available, and will small diameter give me trouble?

So, for those of you with the McNaughton set-up, what do you think of my plans? Am I on the right track (possibly) or just plain crazy (most likely )? I’d appreciate any feedback and advice. Also, if there are any questions that I didn't ask, but should have, let me know.

Thanks.

Brian