At least, done with this one!

It started to remind me more of a jar than a vase, so when I hollowed the neck area I turned the opening at a slight taper (widest point at the rim), with the intention of turning a stopper type lid. I didn't want to turn a ledge on the rim in case I decided I liked it better without the lid.
Once I got the taper on the stopper end turned to fit, I started working on the knob, but design-wise I was drawing a big blank, so I just made a simple knob.
I turned the lid from mesquite knowing that I would be dyeing it a dark color. I don't have any black dye, so I started out by mixing up and applying some dark red, then I added some dark blue to the mix and applied. That left me with a dark purple, which I knew would result from red and blue, but it did get me the darkness I was looking for. I then added some dark brown to the mix and that toned down the purple enough so I was happy with the color.

The form is 8" x 5" (9" with the lid), finished with a few coats of antique oil.
I like it both ways, but I think I prefer it without the lid. Maybe I'd like it better with a different knob. In any case, it beats a coaster !

PICT0005.JPG PICT0006.JPG PICT0004.JPG
PICT0002.JPG PICT0009.JPGPICT0001.JPG PICT0007.JPG
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.