Thread: My tablesaw island and it's dust collection setup.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My tablesaw island and it's dust collection setup.

Since 1984 my primary tablesaw has been a rebuilt 1940s Rockwell Delta Model 34-450 Unisaw. It has a Biesemeyer fence that will cut to 84", and a Biesemeyer vacuum/blade guard that is attached to the ceiling and hinges up when in the way.

The saw cabinet's base is attached to the shop's vacuum system with 5" flex hose. The hose going from the saw cabinet's base is supported by a wood trough on it's way to the hose's vertical drop from the ceiling. The hose is attached to the saw cabinet base by a removable wood sawdust receptacle. Two #720 De-Sta-Co pull action clamps attach the wood receptacle to the saw cabinet's base. The wood recepticle has an aluminum funnel (made from roof flashing) shaped in a way to direct the sawdust to the hose. Expanding insulation foam fill the space between the wood receptacle and funnel to give the funnel rigidity.

The motor is covered with a wood box that has a hinged door for access to occasionally clean around the motor. Openings in the saw cabinet base were filled from the trunnions down, but in the trunnion area and above, I left them open so the dust collector suction would not be makeup air starved. Doing it this way just made sense to me, but I must confess that I have not put a lot of thought into the "science" of air movement inside the saw cabinet base.

There are two dedicated dado saws below it's table extension. The 1930-40s vintage tabletop saws have been rebuilt and are installed upon sawdust catching carts that have straight lined wheels in the back with legs and "wheelbarrow" handles in the front. When needed the dado saws are rolled out from under the Unisaw's extension table. One is used for ¼" dados, the other is set up to dado for Youngdale hinges.

I have had this setup 27 years and it is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 01-19-2013 at 9:21 AM.