Hi all. This is my first thread, and english isn't my first language, so please excuse any hick-up.

I've been wanting to show you this for a while now, as I think you might enjoy to see this tool I have made. I got the inspiration from Tom Fidgen who calls his a "kerfing Plane".
http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/...esistance.html

It's a saw plate mounted in a, sort of, plane body which has a fixed fence to kerf a track around a board, allowing him to resaw to a certain thickness. In his case for bent laminations.

I thought that was pretty handy as I do a lot of re-sawing in my shop (can't stand to waste precious wood) and always found it a bit hard to make the saw track straight. But of course I made it with a moveable fence.

So it took me a couple of days to plan and build this little "saw gauge" as I like to call it

IMG_1402.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg

Want to see it in action?

I had a board from an old cabinet where some old Danish carpenter had glued a thin piece of oak onto some (cheap) pine to give substance without wasting too much precious wood.
IMG_1405.jpg
I'd wanted to free the oak from its ancient bond. So I set the "saw gauge" and tightened the wedges.
IMG_1406.jpg

Then I easily saw the kerf around the board, making sure the fence was tight against the face. (I'm sure you have no trouble in seeing how it works)
IMG_1407.jpg
Then my 4 tpi rip saw goes to town, without me having to check all the time if I'm on the line or not.
IMG_1409.jpg

Board is almost free:
IMG_1410.jpg

Hand plane to the rescue
IMG_1411.jpg

That's how it works. Its made from canadian elm by the way. Finished with oil and wax.
If I didn't have one now, I would surely build it again. It saves a lot of trouble.

Hope you enjoyed

Regards
David