Thread: Ash workbench - progress pix

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ash workbench - progress pix

This bench isn't up to the quality of most of the ones here, so I post with humility. I thought others who are space-challenged may benefit from this.

I only have about 6 feet of space where my bench will go, so I decided on a top that was 60"x24". I built it out of ash because I have a lot of it, and it's stable. I don't write on my bench, so the open grain did not discourage me.

I also had several 4x4 beech posts that I used for the legs.

Incorporating a tail vise (Veritas) was an issue because they usually require the tail end to be cantilevered over the right legs about 17-20". That was an issue on a short bench. For this reason, I chose to splay the legs at 15 degrees. The tail vise has about 9" travel. By sacrificing an inch of the travel, I was able to move the legs on the tail side out to the end another inch. All this means is that I'll have to space my dogs a little closer.

One thing to note is that because all of the Veritas TV hardware is on the back side of the chop, it prevents a 'traditional' L-style tail vise. There is enough clearance to make the chop an "L", but anything longer than the thickness of the bench will hit the screw.

I still have to add the leg vise on the other side (that's why I mounted the top flush with the front legs), beef up the stretchers, make a lower cabinet, shape the tail vise, and finish it.

I cut all my mortises with a router and a bushing guided template. After I got to the maximum depth with my spiral bit, I removed the template and routed the inside of the mortise @ maximum depth using the sides of the mortise as a new template. This gave me an additional 1/4" inch depth, but left 1/8" shoulders at the bottom of the mortise that I cleaned up with a chisel. (Note to self: next time, just buy longer spiral bit ).

I cut the rail tenons at the router table. I'm surprised I don't read about that technique more. With a miter gauge, backer block, and a bottom cleaning bit, it's super simple to make perfect tenons. (assuming you have a precise way to manipulate the fence and depth).

I'm not sure I'll ever make a 'lifetime' bench like some people do around here; it's just too fun and I learn so much each time. It's good for skill building and the old ones always seem to find new purpose.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critique welcome!

(ps: the top stretchers are thicker than they appear; the visible portion is just the end of the tenon).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-09-2013 at 10:37 AM.