Thread: All Cracked up and nowhere to go - part 2

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All Cracked up and nowhere to go - part 2

A couple weeks ago, maybe three [+/-] I posted a pedestal bowl from a very cracked up walnut log. This is the other half........and it is all cracked up as well.

Before anyone gets to lecturing me on turning cracked wood, please know that I really worked on this blank and filled every crack with copious amounts of CA glue.........was very careful on my cuts and stopped every little bit to recheck to see if everything was okay with it....and continued to add more glue......on the final application of glue, I also used sawdust from the turning to help fill the cracks.

This was done in stages, and with great care............the bowl has a flare to it and a beaded rim that is pleasing to the hand, and a very slight base.....just to give it a tiny bit of lift. It is also a little thicker than most I turn because of those very cracks mentioned earlier.....seemed to me that a little extra wood on this one would enhance the integrity of the bowl.

I basically turned this to use up some of the many pieces of wood I have in my shop for way too long that are cluttering up the place and in my way.........not sure what I will do with it as of yet, but when I find somewhere for it to go, then I guess I could change the title to just " All cracked up - part 2 "

This was wet sanded with Mahoney's walnut oil because of the tearout issue on end grain and has a very smooth surface.......again, pleasing to the hands and eye. That is all the finish it has on it at present, but I will probably do some additional finish work.

I can't do much about the cracks, but such is the nature and character of wood. At least it did not go to the firewood pile, which is a good thing!

IMGP3954.JPGIMGP3955.JPGIMGP3956.JPGIMGP3957.JPG

In my opinion.......it looks better in person than in the pics............I think because in natural light the cracks do not show up as much as with the flash on the camera.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-14-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!