I rarely buy wood............most of mine is harvested or given to me. There is the occasional exception however.........as evidenced in this picture.

IMGP4007.jpg

What I have here is a piece of claro walnut, approx. 6"x6"x4", a piece of yellowheart 6x6x2, and a piece of purpleheart approx. 5x5x3. I have had two pieces for over 2 years and the claro for almost two years........the reason I have not turned anything as of yet with them is that I simply did not know what I wanted to do with them.....what type of form and until I got it straight in my mind, I was not about to take a chance on messing up wood that I paid good money for!

That brings me to my asking for design ideas...........I know that I do not want to make a simple bowl.........perhaps a vessel with lid.......the contrasting colors of either the claro or purpleheart would really show off that yellowheart if it were a lid of some sort.

I am just not sure, so I thought I would take a pic of the blanks and ask for some ideas from the turners here on what you think would be a really good form for these......either two pieces of contrasting wood on a single form or even 3 separate forms......

I want to get a number of ideas, and perhaps if one or two really strike my fancy, then I might name it after the person who suggested it and certainly give them credit for their inspiration here on SMC and a couple of other forums.

Fire away folks!